The goal of CIF monitoring and reporting is to generate, aggregate, synthesize and report data across countries and programs so as to demonstrate results. It is critical to the tracking of performance, the provision of accountability and, above all, to improve ongoing decision-making through learning.
The CIF monitoring and reporting function aims to use learning to help generate and analyze high quality data.
Given that CIF financing is channeled through five Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs), each follows its own procedures to monitor and evaluate CIF financed projects. In addition, results monitoring and reporting on outcomes of CIF country and regional programs is guided by results frameworks approved by the respective CIF governance bodies.
Until summer 2013 CIF Monitoring and Reporting (M&R) and Evaluation work has focused on designing the M&R frameworks, core indicators and toolkits for monitoring and reporting. As countries and programs are now beginning implementation of M&R activites the following documents and presentations from previous training sessions shall provide help in related efforts, especially on how to use the Monitoring and Reporting Toolkits.
- Overview Presentation on Monitoring and Reporting on the PPCR, CIF Administrative Unit
- Baselines for Monitoring and Reporting on the PPCR, CIF Adminisrative Unit
- Monitoring and Reporting on PPCR Core Indicators, CIF Administrative Unit
- Expected results for Monitoring and Reporting on the PPCR, CIF Administrative Unit
Country Experiences with Monitoring and Reporting:
Istanbul, Nov 2012
UNEP Adaptation Knowledge Day IV, Bonn, Jun 2013
- PPCR M&R Sessions at PPCR Pilot Country Meeting (IISD coverage)
- Technical M&E Workshop: Implementing CIF Results Frameworks in-Country
- SREP Monitoring and Evaluation Overview - SREP Pilot Country Meeting
- Case Study on Electricity Access Impact of RE Generation Projects
- Defining and Measuring Access to Energy - SREP Pilot Country Meeting
- Potential Enabling Environment Indicators - Detailed Descriptions - SREP Pilot Country Meeting
- Proposal for Reporting on Enabling Environment - SREP Pilot Country Meeting
- Enabling Environments for Renewables - SREP Pilot Country Meeting
- PPCR Learning Activities for FY2014 - PPCR Pilot Country Meetings
- CTF Impact on EE and RE Private Sector Financing via Local Financial Institutions in Turkey
- Proposal for a Revised CTF Results Framework
- Results based financing Energy+ Partnership - SREP Pilot Countries Meeting
- ASAP's Results Framework: Lessons - IFAD
- Summary of Discussion on Measuring Results from SREP Investments
- Summary of measuring results session - CIF AU
- SREP results reporting
- Institutionalization of Results Monitoring at the Country Level – ADB
- SREP Results Frameworks Harmonization and Integration
- CTF Results Frameworks Harmonization and Integration
- CIF Results Frameworks Harmonization and Integration
Here you find links to resources and extensive libraries related to or relevant for setting up your Monitoring, Reporting or Evaluation.
- Lessons from PES for REDD+ from over a decade of implementation of Payments for Environmental Services (PES) and Conservation Incentive programs in Costa Rica, Mexico, and Ecuador.
- World Bank Impact Evaluation Toolkit with a focus on health programs.
- Gender Equality and Climate Change, review of the Implementation in the EU of area K of the Beijing Platform for Action: Women and the Environment.
- Participatory Monitoring, Evaluation, Reflection and Learning for Community-based Adaptation: PMERL Manual – A Manual for Local Practitioners.
- Tracking Adaptation and Measuring Development A framework to check whether adaptation is keeping development on-track, and whether costs and benefits are fairly distributedby assessing risk management and resilience at many levels.
- UK DECC Evaluation Guide and Planning Template for using evidence and analysis to inform energy and climate change policies.
- GIZ Policy Guidance on National Level M&E of Adaptation, example from Mongolia.
- Participatory carbon monitoring: Operational guidance for national REDD+
- The gef Climate-Eval e-library Sharing good practices on climate change and development evaluation.
- Climate & Development Knowledge Network supports decision-makers in designing and delivering climate compatible development.
- International Inititative on Impact Evaluation (3ie) Increase development effectiveness through better use of evidence in developing countries.
- Platform for Climate/Smart Planning provides countries and individual users with the opportunity to gather and share information on the application of climate-resilient and low-carbon development tools.
- SEAChangeCoP Resources is one answer to the growing needs found in the intersection of monitoring and evaluation and the implementation of climate change interventions
- SmartToolkit is an interactive Web 2.0 platform to share knowledge on country-led M&E systems worldwide.
- World Bank Climate Change Data meant to provide all users with improved access to World Bank data and to make that data easy to find and use.
- Theory of Change approach to climate change adaptation programming from SEA Change
The PPCR Results Community of Practice and the FIP Results Community of Practice were initiated by the CIF AU in April 2014 and March 2015 respectively in response to (i) pilot country requests for guidance on monitoring and reporting and (ii) to promote continued south-south learning through the sharing of country challenges, concerns, and successes while implementing the PPCR and the FIP results framework. Both communities aim to provide weekly guidance and tools that facilitate country's progress towards annual reporting rounds, as well as collect and share questions, insights, and on-the-ground stories. Each community is comprised of over 100 practitioners including country focal points and M&E specialists, MDB focal points, consultants, and task team leaders.
If you are interested in participating in a Results Community of Practice, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for PPCR and email@example.com for FIP. Please send us your full contact details. Everyone is welcome.
Please find here a presentation that describes the FIP Monitoring and Reporting process in 8 steps.
PPCR Results Community Emails/Tools:
FIP Results Community Emails/Tools:
|2014: April 2, April 9, April 16, April 23, April 30, May 7, May 14, May 21, May 28, June 4, June 11||2015: March 18, March 27, April 3, April 9, April 16, April 23, May 7, May 14, May 21, May 28|
Adaptation Community is a community of practice to support adaptation to climate change.Other Climate Change Monitoring & Reporting and Evaluation Communities of Practice:
- Climate-Eval is a community of practice that aims to establish standards and norms, support capacity development, and share good practices in climate change and development evaluation.
- SEAChangeCop is a maturing virtual community of practice focused on the monitoring and evaluation of climate change interventions in Asia, and beyond.
- My M & E is an interactive Web 2.0 platform to share knowledge on country-led M&E systems worldwide.
Related MDB Pages:
- ADB Climate Change
- AfDB Climate Change
- EBRD Climate Finance
- IDB Climate Change
- IFC Climate Business
- World Bank Climate Change
- Platform for Climate/Smart Planning
- World Bank Climate Change Data